Dance Audition Call Out!
Commissioning New Dance Works for 2020
Music in Mind in partnership with Culture Warrington are looking for experienced dancers to work on a new and exciting original project based in the North West.
“Like a Butterfly” is a dance theatre project exploring the links between boxing and dance and celebrates the life of Muhammad Ali.
We are looking for three talented and innovative professional dancers to work alongside emerging dance artists, community dancers, amateur boxers and musicians to create a dance choreography based on the rhythms and moves of boxing.
We are Ideally looking for regional North West dancers but others may apply. We are particularly interested in applications from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic artists.
The new commission will:
- Use boxing as a medium for engaging young people in dance and the arts.
- Celebrate positive role models.
- Explore the similarities, artistry and discipline of boxing and dance.
- Widen public engagement with the arts with disadvantage groups
The performances will combine community dancers and emerging dancers with professional dancers and musicians to explore the ‘art in sport’ led by choreographer Ryan Lee Seager. The project will run in 2 phases:
- Workshops and rehearsals with lead choreographer, community choreographer emerging dancer artists, local boxers and community dancers.
- Educational workshops and public performances.
Duration and Timeline:
- Rehearsals: (At the Pyramid Arts Centre, Warrington)
w/c 6th April (exact dates TBC)
April: 21st– 25th (inclusive)
April: 27th– 30th (Inclusive)
1st May (Warrington)
2nd May (Liverpool)
Fee for performers:
£1400 ( + Up to £150 per week living allowance for dancers outside of North West.)
- Additional educational workshops and Performances exact dates TBC – £220 per day
Personal Attributes and Experience:
- Have a minimum of 1 years professional experience
- Have a broad experience/ training within various dance styles (inc ballet, contemporary, hip hop)
- Flexible, adaptable, with a highly receptive and positive attitude.
- Team-player who naturally identifies areas where they are able to assist others
- Close attention to detail and continually striving for excellence
- Previous experience of boxing or martial arts desirable but not essential.
Saturday 29th February 2020
Pyramid Arts Centre, Warrington
Professional dancer call – 12.30pm -2.00pm
For enquiries and to register your attendance please contact Gaynor: firstname.lastname@example.org